STAC is offering three training sessions at STAC 2018, including two free training opportunities and another that’s being offered at a special rate for STAC Members!
Information about each of these limited availability training sessions – including registration information – is as follows:
Competent PPE Inspector (Certificate Course)
Offered by: TEAM-1 Academy
Date/Time: Wed. April 18, 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. MT
Falling from Heights continues to be one of the biggest killers in industrial workplaces. All of these accidents are preventable. Workers need to know and use proper fall protection equipment. An important aspect of this is the maintenance and inspections needed for personal fall protection equipment to ensure that workers who use this equipment are well protected from falling. Workers who conduct the formal inspections on fall protection equipment should, and must, know the proper and effective processes of inspecting and documenting fall protection equipment. It is extremely important that inspectors be effectively trained before conducting any inspection of equipment.
TEAM-1 Academy’s Fall Protection Equipment Inspector Course is designed to introduce standardized practices for fall protection equipment inspection by a variety of hands-on exercises. Written and practical tests are administered to ensure the principles presented in this course are understood.
Fiber Optic Termination and Repair
Offered by: NWS Wireless
Date/Time: Wed. April 18, 8:00 a.m.-10:00 a.m. MT
Learn how to properly terminate and repair fiber optic cable from the experts at NWS Wireless. This course provides information about modern fiber optic cables and connectors, including instructions on how to get longer life out of fiber through the use of proper termination and repair best practices.
This two-hour training course will cover the following topics:
• Product features & benefits
• Tool requirements
• Termination instructions
• Alternate Termination Technique
• Hands-on Training
Qualified Fall Protection Engineering – Level I (Certificate Course)
Offered by: Elevated Insight & Engineering Ltd.
April 18, 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. MT
Thurs. April 19, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. MT
Fri. April 20, 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. MT
Cost: $1,400 +GST*
This course is intended for engineers who work in fall protection and need to design or evaluate systems in accordance with ANSI Z359.6 and/or CSA Z259.16, “Design of Active Fall Protection Systems”. It is taught by the Engineer who led development of CSA Z259.16, which is the basis for ANSI Z359.6 in the United States (he is a member of that standard as well).
Participants gain extensive insight into engineering principles and methods for analyzing critical aspects of fall protection systems and equipment. All formulae in the standards and others needed for advanced analysis are derived and/or explained in the course. Students perform both hand and computer calculations in the class, tutored by the instructor(s).
Level 1 includes eight exercises to practice calculation of:
• Impact loads from various vertical Fall Arrest Systems
• Free Fall and Clearance calculations
• Personal Energy Absorber and Self Retracting Lifeline deployments (and the level of impact that may occur if fully deployed due to greater worker weights and free falls)
• Ballasted anchors
• Vertical Lifeline behavior on vertical faces and sloping surfaces
• Non-linear behavior of lifeline ropes.
• Instruction by the Engineer who developed most of the technical content of ANSI Z359.6 and CSA Z259.16, “Design of Active Fall Protection Systems”, as well as choice of an electronic copy of either of these standards.
• A course manual containing essential engineering formulae, reference materials, presentation summaries and real-world exercises with solutions.
• MS Excel Software (renewable 1 year license) to analyze a large variety of Fall Protection systems and scenarios. The software can analyze most fall protection systems once engineering properties of components and equipment are known.
• Choice of the CSA Z259.16 or ANSI Z359.6 “Design of Active Fall Protection Systems” standards
• Digital copies of articles, catalogues, technical papers, calculation aids and regulations.
Certification: Participants must achieve a minimum score of 80% on written examination to achieve certification at each Level, valid for 3 years. A refresher course is available to renew the certification.
Registration: Complete the attached “Course Registration” spreadsheet and submit to Greg Small at Elevated Insight & Engineering Ltd. at firstname.lastname@example.org
*Special rate for STAC Members