Connect to Innovate applicants should hear back soon: Jordan


Originally published by The Wire Report
Author: Michael Lee-Murphy

OTTAWA — After details emerged last week that 60 per cent of applicants to the federal government’s Connect to Innovate (CTI) program still hadn’t been informed about whether their applications were successful, rural economic development minister Bernadette Jordan said that 85 per cent of the projects will “have shovels in the ground this summer.”

She told MPs on the House industry committee that because of the $85 million top-up to the program in this year’s budget, there are “still some applications that are being looked at.” Applications were due in March 2017.

“Hopefully we’ll have those answers in the next few weeks, and then we can make sure people are notified,” Jordan said in an interview after appearing before the House of Commons industry committee.

The Wire Report reported on May 9 that 532 of the 892 applicants for funding had not yet heard whether or not they would receive any money. The program, which allocated $500 million in the 2016 budget with the goal of improving high speed internet in some 300 communities, got an additional $85 million in the 2019 federal budget as part of a promised $1.7 billion in spending for rural broadband. The total ask from applicants amounted to $4.4 billion.

Read the full article at thewirereport.ca (subscription required – ask for the special rate for STAC Members.)